Chocolate Almond Brownies
1.5 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water, whisked
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp brown rice flour
1.5 cups almond flour
2 tbsp arrowroot powder (or cornstarch may work)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp coconut oil
1 cup organic cane sugar
1/2 cup + 1/4 cup non-dairy chocolate, divided
1/4 cup almond milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9 inch square pan with parchment and grease all sides. In a small bowl, whisk together the ground flax and water and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flours, arrowroot, cocoa, salt, baking soda).
3. In a large microwave safe bowl, add chocolate and coconut oil and melt in microwave for about 30-45 seconds until melted. Stir well and add in flax egg, sugar, vanilla, and milk. Whisk.
4. Pour wet mixture over dry mixture and stir well. The mixture will be VERY dry, but not to worry keep mixing! Now fold in the walnuts and remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
5. Scoop thick batter into prepared pan and place a piece of parchment on top. Spread with hands or a pastry roller until smooth and even.
6. Bake for 35-37 minutes at 350F and allow brownies to cool in pan for about 1.5 hours.
DO NOT REMOVE BROWNIES (uh oh I’m screaming!) until completely cool or they will crumble…you were warned! After an hour or so, separate edge of brownie from pan with a butter knife and place on a cooling rack. Cool completely. I like to leave my brownies out overnight (uncovered) and cut them in the morning.
Store in an air-tight container. Will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
Thank you www.ohsheglows.com for the delicious recipe!